How to Keep Your Career on Track
The SHRM Hawaii Emerging Professionals (EPs) kicked off their very first Virtual Learning Program, How to Keep Your Career on Track, on May 28th. The Virtual Learning Program featured speakers, Charletta Wilson and Sarah Guay. Charletta is an industrial and organizational psychologist, International Coaching Federation Certified Professional Coach, and Certified Dare to Lead Facilitator. Sarah Guay is the Vice President of Human Resources at HEMIC where she is in charge of developing and implementing an innovative people strategy to support their organizational transformation. These engaging speakers shared about communication strategies when working remote, how to carry on informal or “water cooler talk”, what to do if your career plan has been derailed due to COVID-19, how to use this situation to continue working towards your career goals, and how to leverage your “new COVID-19 job duties” in the future. The event was a hit and many of our Emerging Professionals were able to take what they learned and assess how they can put these learnings into action. Here are a few takeaways from our Emerging Professionals.
- Show your manager your ability to take initiative by bringing solutions that are well thought out where possible.
- Take the time to really examine what matters to you – don’t focus on the gap but what you are doing to fill that gap (whether it’s relating to your self or professional development, well-being, etc.).
- Turn setbacks into opportunities by continuing to dedicate time for learning (e.g. taking advantage of free webinars, staying close to professional networks, and sharing experiences with your community of practice).
- Think about and highlight the values and skills you can bring to your organization.
- Allow yourself to be imperfect – as some of us work towards a leadership path or professional development in general, leadership is about overcoming and becoming.
As connecting and learning virtually become the new norm, the SHRM Hawaii Emerging Professionals look to provide more Virtual Learning Programs over the next few months. To keep up to date on our new programs or suggest a program topic or speaker, feel free to visit/contact us at shrmhawaii.org.